We make a lot of hot chocolate in our house. Sometimes we use K-cups from Starbucks (in their mug of course), Candies like Junior Mints (hubby’s fav) and Tootsie Roll, or Laura Secord (best!). But there’s nothing like making your own, especially for a party or a cozy night for two.
Here are our own special recipes:
Hot Chocolate Recipe for One
- 1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1½ Tbsp sugar
- 1 c milk
- ¼ tsp vanilla or almond extract
- Combine cocoa, sugar, and about 2 tablespoons milk in a pan. Cook on medium-low heat, stirring constantly until cocoa and sugar are dissolved.
- Whisk milk and heat on medium heat until hot. Stir in your choice of extract and serve.
- If you like it frothy, blend it in the blender. (Remember that when blending a hot liquid you should only fill blender half full or less, so don't use the individual sized blender container.)
Julianna’s French Silk Hot Chocolate
- 3 squares unsweetened chocolate, cut into pieces
- ½ c cold water
- ¾ c sugar
- dash salt
- 2 c whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 c milk
- Combine chocolate and water in a small pan, cook over direct heat 4 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and beat with mixer until smooth. Add sugar and salt.
- Return to heat and cook 4 minutes.
- In a large pan heat milk, stirring constantly, until bubbles appear around the edges. Stir in extract.
- Whisk chocolate mixture into milk. Stir in whipping cream. Serve immediately.
How to Make a BIG Batch of Hot Chocolate in the Crock Pot
Before we go skiing or out in the cold, I put hot chocolate in the crock pot so we can enjoy it when we return.
Crock Pot Hot Chocolate
- 4 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- ¾ c milk chocolate chips
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 8 c milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla or almond extract
- dash salt
- Spray your crock pot generously with nonstick cooking spray.
- Melt chocolate in microwave: Microwave on medium and check every 10 seconds until mostly melted then stir until completely melted.
- Add melted chocolate and sweetened condensed milk inside crock pot. Mix well.
- Whisk in the milk & extract, and add the pinch of salt.
- Cover and cook on low for 2 hours.
- Stir before serving.
Mulled Hot Chocolate
- 1 quart chocolate milk
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- ⅛ tsp ground allspice
- ½ rind from a whole orange
- ¼ c sugar
- 6 oz bittersweet chocolate chunks
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- Cut the skin off an orange, removing the pith. Next, julienne the orange peel and set aside.
- Pour chocolate milk into a saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Add sugar, cinnamon sticks, allspice and orange rind. Then remove from heat for 10-15 minutes.
- After the spices have steeped in the milk, reheat the mixture to a very low heat and add chocolate chunks, stirring occasionally until melted (takes about 3-5 minutes).
- Carefully pour hot chocolate mixture through a metal strainer to remove spices and finish by adding vanilla extract.
- Pour into individual mugs and top off hot chocolate with whipped cream and julienned orange peel, if desired.
Source: Mulled Hot Chocolate recipe from National Dairy Council via Family Features