Spider-Man Day on August 1 celebrates the day Spider-Man arrived on the comic book shelves. Here’s what to do on this daily holiday, from easy to awesome!
Celebrate Marvel’s Spider-Man on the day he arrived on the scene.
On August 1, 1962, the world was introduced to Spider-Man in the Amazing Fantasy #15 comic book.
“Stan Lee and Steve Ditko gave birth to one of the most enduring icons in American popular media: the one and only Amazing Spider-Man!
Turning the concept of a super hero on its head, they imbued the young, guilt-ridden Peter Parker with the fantastic powers of an arachnid and the fantastic pressures of an everyday teenager.
The combination was pure magic, and during the course of 40 issues of web-slinging, wise-cracking wonderment Lee and Ditko built the foundation for 45 years of Spidey spectaculars.“
With great power comes great responsibility.Peter Parker’s Uncle Ben
Spider-Man has gone through many changes from the TV series to the cinematic universe.
Have you seen him in all these versions? Today’s the day to catch up if you haven’t! See the Evolution of Spider-man in just 3 minutes!
Did you know that there are more versions of Spider-Man than just Peter Parker’s?
You’ve gotta see these Top 10 most powerful versions of Spider-Man. Such a diverse group. Even a zombie!
Test your knowledge of all things Spidey with our Spider-Man Villain Quiz.
Top 10 Spider-Man Villians Quiz
There are around 60 Spider-Man villains – how many do you know? Here are the Top 10 Spider-man Villains that appeared in the comics and the movies.
(Click on the question to see answer.)
1. He is a master of disguise and the half-brother of Kraven the Hunter.
“I am invisible because I am the same thing you look at every dreadful, dull day. I am the day before you realize everything has gone horribly, horribly wrong. I am the Chameleon.“
He is the first supervillain to ever face Spider-Man by appearing in the initial issue of The Amazing Spider-Man in March 1963.
He was a member of the Sinister Six in the comics.
His alter-ego is Dmitri Anatoly Nikolayevich Smerdyakov.
He appeared in the 2019 Spider-Man Far From Home movie, played by Numan Acar. Here he was a part of Nick Fury’s crew baby-sitting Peter Parker while also working with Mysterio.
2. He is an inventor who created mechanical wings which allowed him to fly and granted superhuman strength.
“Not a word from the feds, nothing from those Halloween costume-wearing bozos up there over at Stark Tower. And then all of a sudden, this little bastard in red tights shows up, and he thinks he can tear down everything I’ve built. Really? I’m gonna kill him.”
He is the villain in the comic The Amazing Spider-Man #2 in May 1963.
He was the main antagonist in the 2017 movie Spider-Man Homecoming portrayed by Michael Keaton.
His alter-ego is Adrian Toomes (and others).
3. He is a gifted engineer who specializes in creating gadgets from just about anything.
4. Originally a brilliant scientist, his greatest invention, a set of metallic limbs, became fused to his body by an accident which caused his insanity.
5. After being caught in a nuclear accident, his body merged with sand which he can manipulate in many ways.
6. He is a a genetic biologist who injected himself with reptile DNA.
“My name is Dr. Curtis Connors. And yes, in case you’re wondering, I’m a southpaw. I’m not a cripple, I’m a scientist, and I am the world’s most foremost authority in herpetology. That’s reptiles, for those of you who don’t know.”
He first appeared in the comic The Amazing Spider-Man #6 in November 1963.
He was an antagonist in the 2012 movie The Amazing Spider-man portrayed by Rhys Ifans.
His alter-ego is Dr. Curt Connors.
7. He was a lineman for an electric company. While repairing a power line he was holding a wire when lightning struck and altered his nervous system, turning him into him a living electrical capacitor.
“Soon, everyone in this city will know what it feels to live in a world without power. Without mercy. With no Spider-Man.”
He first appeared in the comic The Amazing Spider-Man #9 in February 1964.
He was the main antagonist in the 2014 movie The Amazing Spider-Man 2, portrayed by Jamie Foxx.
His alter-ego is Maxwell Dillon.
8. He is a failed actor but gifted special effects artist who uses hypnosis and an extensive knowledge of chemistry and robotics to trick his enemies.
“You are just a scared little kid in a sweatsuit. I created Mysterio to give the world someone to believe in. I control the truth; Mysterio is the truth!”
He first appeared in the comic The Amazing Spider-Man #13 in June 1964.
He appeared in the 2019 Spider-Man Far From Home movie, portrayed by Jake Gyllenhaal.
His alter-ego is Quentin Beck.
9. He is the CEO of Oscorp where he developed a formula to produce his powers and also makes his arsenal of weapons and glider. His son carries on his villainy after his demise.
“The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the water spout. Down came the Goblin and took the spider out.”
He first appeared in the comic The Amazing Spider-Man #14 in July 1964.
The Green Goblin appeared in several movies including 2002’s Spider-Man as Norman Osborn, and 2004’s Spider-Man 2 (portrayed by Willem Dafoe in both), and in 2007’s Spider-Man 3 (Harry Osborn portrayed by James Franco) and 2014’s The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Norman Osborne portrayed by Chris Cooper and Harry Osborn by Dane DeHaan).
His alter-ego is Norman Osborn and also his son, Harry Osborn.
10. This villain has expert burglary skills and carries a grappling hook for swinging on rooftops. They have the power to cause “bad luck”.
“I’m the Black Cat…and I just crossed your path.“
She first appeared in the comic The Amazing Spider-Man #194 in July 1979.
Her alter-ego is Felicia Hardy.
Black Cat has an interesting history with Spider-Man. She began as a villain, a cat burglar like her father, but they fell in love. She became an anti-hero and Spider-Man’s partner for awhile. When it became apparent that she only loved Spider-Man and not Peter Parker, they parted ways. For awhile they remained allies and had an on-again off-again romance, but now she is considered a supervillain.
She appeared as her alter-ego Felicia Hardy (but not as Black Cat) in 2014’s The Amazing Spider-Man 2 as Harry Osborn’s assistant at Oscorp. She was portrayed by Felicity Jones.
How many Spider-man costumes can you remember?
There are 42 Spider-Man suits and costumes you can unlock in the PS4 game, but got no time for dat! Here is the Top 10 Spider-Man suits from the comic books and movies.
Did you notice how Peter Parker’s age in the movies messed up the Marvel Cinematic Universe timeline?
Here’s the evidence. But the real question is: does it matter? Spider-Man Day is the day to decide!
And the very best way to celebrate Spider-man Day? Watch a Spider-man movie. (Duh!)
If you are going to watch just one, Into the Spider-verse has to be it!
Spider-man Movies in Chronological Order
- Spider-man vs Green Goblin (2002 with Toby Maguire)
- Spider-man 2 vs Doc Ock / Dr. Otto Octavius (2004 with Toby Maguire)
- Spider-man 3 vs New Goblin, Venom and Sandman (2007 with Toby Maguire)
- The Amazing Spider-man vs the Lizard (2012 with Andrew Garfield)
- The Amazing Spider-man 2 vs Electro and Green Goblin (2014 with Andrew Garfield)
- Captain America Civil War (2016 with Tom Holland)
- Spider-man Homecoming vs the Vulture and The Tinker (2017 with Tom Holland)
- Avengers Infinity War vs Thanos (2018 with Tom Holland)
- Avengers End Game vs Thanos (2019 with Tom Holland)
- Spider-man Far From Home vs Mysterio (2019 with Tom Holland)
Bake a Spider-man cake.
This awesome Spider-Man cake was made by In the Kitchen with Matt.
Follow the video tutorial, or see step by step instructions with photos at Instructables.
Hope you’ve enjoyed celebrating Spider-man Day & made some fun memories with fellow Spider-man fans.
Want more? See more daily holidays for August 1, and the rest of the month.
Put more play in today – and every day in August with our daily holiday suggestions from easy to awesome.
Want even more? See our new daily holidays ideas.
Sign up for our weekly magazine with all our new recipes, party ideas and ways to put more play in every day.