Stencil Cakes are a great way to make your cake match your party theme, and are fast and easy to create. (If you’re using a printable party package, it’s super easy – just cut your cupcake toppers into stencils!)
This Autumn Stencil Cake looks great with each square celebrating Thanksgiving and autumn leaves sprinkles on the edge. It was created using Wilton’s 8-Piece Autumn Mini Stencil Set.
Favorite spice cake recipe
4 cups Buttercream Icing
Ivory and Golden Yellow Icing Color for Decorating
Autumn Cupcake and Cookie Stencils
Red, Orange, Black and Green Colored Sugars
Brown Color Dust
Colorful Leaves Sprinkle Mix
- Spray 9 in. x 13 in. baking pan with vegetable pan spray.
- Bake spice cake in prepared pan following recipe instructions. Cool completely.
- Tint about 1 cup icing yellow; tint remainder ivory if using to ice the cake. Using a spatula, smooth ice the cake with ivory buttercream.
- Take the time to plan out your squares, lightly marking where you’ll pipe your dividing lines with a knife. Think about which stencil you would like in which square, visualizing how it will look altogether by the shape, size and colors used in each stencil. Plan the spacing of two stencils the same height or same color so they’re not directly beside each other. (See how the apple and pumpkin are in opposite corners on the cake in the photo? If they were in adjacent squares it would take away from their appearance. Ditto for the two acorns and two leaves.)
- Use decorating stencils, sugars and Color Dust to create Thanksgiving images in each square.
- Pipe tip #21 yellow buttercream shell bottom border; pipe tip #14 shells in straight lines on top of the cake.
- Gently press leaf sprinkles onto sides of cake.
How to Smooth Ice a Cake Video Tutorial
How to Stencil the Top of a Cake Video Tutorial
Wilton via Family Features