Try one or all of these Backwards party decorations to get everyone feeling . . . backwards.
Here are some fun & mischievous decorations you can do before guests arrive.
The first one is an upside down christmas tree – just ignore it and keep watching. There are lots of easy but very cool ideas!
Here are our decorating ideas. We think they’re pretty cool, too.
TP the Party Room!
Toilet paper is the opposite of pretty streamers.
When guests arrive give them a roll of toilet paper and let them go at it.
It makes for an unforgettable experience – and usually ends up being the favorite party of the party. Even for adults!
We removed all the chairs and ran a string across each end of the room and above the middle of the table to give the paper something extra to drape on. This creates a little “cave” under the table with all the falling strips.
(Because you must eat under the table on backwards day as you see next.)
Eat Under the Table on Backwards Day
If you didn’t TP the party room, put a big table cloth on the table so it hangs down to create a little cave under the table.
We hung clear icicle lights and swags of red twinkle lights on the underside perimeter of the table to add to the party atmosphere. (We used painters tape for easy removal.)
We put pillows underneath for the kids to sit/lean on but you could also set placemats for each place setting, depending on the age of the kids at the party.
1. Litter the floor with balloons instead of them hugging the ceiling
Kids love this because they can crawl through them to get under the table and kick them around. (Adults have a blast kicking them around too!)
2. Hang balloons upside down from the ceiling
Use air-filled balloons, NOT helium-filled. Attach ribbons or strings to the balloons. Attach the opposite end of the string to the ceiling and let the balloons hang down so they look upside down.
3. Use custom printed balloons
In our Cafepress Shoppe we have customized Backwards Day balloons. These 18″ mylar balloons are a great for decorating the buffet table, the birthday boy or girl’s chair or at the entrance so everyone knows which house is hosting the party.
They can be personalized with the birthday name or class name.
Customized Backwards Party Decorations
We have personalized Backwards Party Day party supplies in our Cafepress shoppe: t-shirts for baby, toddler, kids, men & women, drinking glasses, serving trays, mylar balloon, tote bag, canvas party favor bag, customizable invitations with envelopes, and much more.
Backwards Day Party Printables
These backwards party printables add to the festivity of your wild & wacky backwards day and match the personalizable party supplies in our Cafepress Shoppe (above).
Backwards Party Printables Package includes:
- Banner with letters to read: Happy Backwards Day or Happy Backwards Birthday or Happy Birthday
- Cupcake Toppers: 2 designs – I Love Backwards Day, Wild & Wacky Backwards Day Party
- Cupcake wrapper: red with white polka dots
- Welcome Sign
- It’s Backwards Day Walkway Signs: 3 designs – Goodbye, Are you walking backwards?, What’s your name spelled backwards?
- Popcorn Box: red with white polka dots
- Bottle Labels: 2 designs – I Love Backwards Day, Wild & Wacky Backwards Day Party
- Party Favor Bag Topper: Wild & Wacky Backwards Day Party Prize
- Fill-in Invitation
- Party Hat: red with white polka dots
For more details and photos, see our Backwards Day Party Printables.
Want more? See our other backwards party ideas for fun & food.
See our new party themes & top party ideas – and more.
- Are you the one with the big ideas? “Let’s do this” or “Let’s go there”.
- Are you the instigator that everyone follows to the next fun thing?
- Are you the creative type who adds flair to everything you do?
- Do you believe in celebrating life?
You sound like a Merrymaker!
- Pinterest – hundreds of vision boards with party themes & recipes
- Facebook – hear about the bizarre holiday or “national day” today, our newest article, guides & party printables
- Twitter – get in on the conversation
Sign up for our weekly Merrymaker Magazine
- Know the upcoming week’s daily holidays with celebration ideas so you can prepare ahead of time
- Get party planning guides & see party printables for this month’s calendar holidays and new party themes
- Be first to try out our newest recipes
- See the list of last week’s articles so you won’t miss a thing