Recipe created by Champion Pitmaster Chris Lilly of Big Bob Gibson BBQ – see his grilling tips.
Quick overview to Chris Lilly’s BBQ grilling technique for pork sliders:
- 1 7 to 8-pound pork butt
- 24 slider buns
- 1 bottle KC Masterpiece Original Barbecue Sauce
- Dry rub
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 3/4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) dark beer
- 1 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Build a charcoal fire for indirect cooking by situating the coals on only one side of the grill, leaving the other side void. Add a small aluminum pan to the void side of the grill and fill it halfway with water.
- In a small bowl, combine the dry rub ingredients. Coat pork evenly with dry rub, patting gently until mixture adheres to the meat.
- When the grill reaches 250°F, place pork butt on the void side of the grill over the water pan, close the lid, and cook over indirect heat for 4 hours.
- While pork is cooking, combine baste ingredients in a medium saucepan and mix well. Place over medium-low heat and simmer until butter melts. Keep baste on low heat until ready to use.
- Cook pork an additional three hours basting pork every hour until internal temperature reaches 190°F. Continually monitor grill temperature and add hot charcoal as needed, to maintain the grill temperature of 250°F.
- Remove pork butt from grill and let it rest for 15 minutes. Pull cooked meat from the bone and serve mounded high on slider buns topped with your favorite barbecue sauce and condiments.
Recipe, video and photos courtesy of Kingsford Charcoal via Family Features
Put more play in your inbox
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter to plan ahead for the week's daily celebrations, get another chance to read last week's articles, see all the freebies, giveaways and recipes - and get the info on our Monthly Facebook Contest.