Fast and easy carrot cake recipe using a cake mix base
Using a cake mix to bake a cake isn’t cheating! Cake mixes are scientifically created to ensure that it will turn out perfect every time. And when you add your own signature ingredients to make it better, the cake is all yours and you deserve the accolades.
Carrot cake mixes don’t contain carrots. (What?!) So adding your own ingredients like carrots and other things to make it moist and taste better is a good idea.
Secrets to an Amazing Carrot Cake
Carrot cake is made like a quick bread. (You add a bowl of wet ingredients into a bowl of dry ingredients.) This creates a texture more coarse than traditional cake.
Carrots: freshly grated carrots are the best. (You can cheat by purchasing shredded carrots but they aren’t as moist or flavorful.)
Oil not butter: I use butter in cooking more than Julia Childs, but in a carrot cake you want to use oil instead of butter because it is flavorless which brings out the carrot, spice and nut flavors.
Here is our best easy carrot cake recipe for you – moist & delicious but beginning with a pre-measured cake mix for speed and accuracy.
Easy Carrot Cake
- 1 carrot cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 c applesauce instead of oil
- 1 c grated carrot about 4
- ½ c walnut pieces
- 1 pkg cream cheese frosting
- Mix eggs, applesauce and carrots. Stir into cake mix until combined.
- Stir in walnut pieces.
- Bake in preheated oven as directed on cake mix box, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. (15 – 20 minutes for cupcakes.)
- Allow cake to cool completely and ice with frosting.
More Carrot Cake Ideas
Want to see all our cake recipes?
Want to see all our recipes?
- step by step tutorials
- recipes for all skill levels
- tips to make your recipe turn out perfectly the first time