Are you trying to put more plant-based foods in your diet? Try blenditarian nachos – it’s a blend of ground turkey and mushrooms, created by MasterChef Junior finalist Evan Robinson.
Blenditarian and MasterChef Junior finalist Evan Robinson created this Nacho recipe using a mushroom/ground turkey blend for a healthier, plant-focused meal that is Earth-conscious and strikes a nutrition-sustainability-flavor balance.
The mushrooms add a umami flavor, vegetables and an earth-friendly ingredient to the ground turkey.
(For more information on Blenditarian eating, see our article Blenditarian Mushroom/Ground Meat Recipes are Nutritious & Delicious.)
- 5 shiitake mushrooms
- 5 button mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove
- ¼ c chopped onions
- 1 Tbsp nacho seasoning mix
- 10 oz ground turkey
- 1 pkg tortilla chips
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1 c milk
- 1¼ c Mexican blend shredded cheese
- romaine lettuce
- fresh cilantro
- diced red peppers
- corn niblets
- In blender or food processor, pulse mushrooms, garlic and onions.
- In large saute pan over medium-high heat, mix finely chopped mushroom mixture with seasoning and cook 2 minutes.
- Add ground turkey, breaking into fine crumbles until completely cooked through. Set aside.
- To make cheese sauce: In medium saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter then add flour and whisk constantly, breaking up lumps. Stir 2 minutes then add milk and continuously whisk. Stir in cheese and mix with wooden spoon.
- Assemble chips on serving platter; spread mushroom-meat crumble on top. Add cheese sauce and toppings like salsa, guacamole, kale, romaine lettuce, tomatoes, cilantro and diced red bell peppers, if desired.
Recipe courtesy the Mushroom Council
Want more? See all of our Blenditarian recipes.
See our new recipes and even more.
- Pinterest – hundreds of vision boards with party themes & recipes
- Facebook – hear about the bizarre holiday or “national day” today, our newest article, guides & party printables
- Twitter – get in on the conversation
Sign up for our weekly Merrymaker Magazine
- Know the upcoming week’s daily holidays with celebration ideas so you can prepare ahead of time
- Get party planning guides & see party printables for this month’s calendar holidays and new party themes
- Be first to try out our newest recipes
- See the list of last week’s articles so you won’t miss a thing