This recipe uses a mushroom/ground turkey blend for a healthier, plant-focused meal that is Earth-conscious and strikes a nutrition-sustainability-flavor balance.
(For more information on Blenditarian eating, see our article Blenditarian Mushroom/Ground Meat Recipes are Nutritious & Delicious.)
Blenditarian and MasterChef Junior finalist Evan Robinson created this Nacho recipe using a mushroom/ground turkey blend.
The mushrooms add a umami flavor, vegetables and an earth-friendly ingredient to the ground turkey.
- 5 shiitake mushrooms
- 5 button mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove
- ¼ c chopped onions
- 1 Tbsp nacho seasoning mix
- 10 oz ground turkey
- 1 pkg tortilla chips
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1 c milk
- 1¼ c Mexican blend shredded cheese
- romaine lettuce
- fresh cilantro
- diced red peppers
- corn niblets
- In blender or food processor, pulse mushrooms, garlic and onions.
- In large saute pan over medium-high heat, mix finely chopped mushroom mixture with seasoning and cook 2 minutes.
- Add ground turkey, breaking into fine crumbles until completely cooked through. Set aside.
- To make cheese sauce: In medium saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter then add flour and whisk constantly, breaking up lumps. Stir 2 minutes then add milk and continuously whisk. Stir in cheese and mix with wooden spoon.
- Assemble chips on serving platter; spread mushroom-meat crumble on top. Add cheese sauce and toppings like salsa, guacamole, kale, romaine lettuce, tomatoes, cilantro and diced red bell peppers, if desired.
Want to see all our Blenditarian Recipes?
Want to see all of our recipes?
See our Recipe Index
- step by step tutorials
- recipes for all skill levels
- tips to make your recipe turn out perfectly the first time