Here is a wow-worthy BBQ recipe – the Buffalo Rack of Ribs Sandwich is over a foot long and will feed 4 people.
Once ribs are grilled until tender, use a sharp knife to carefully slit skin on the back of each rib and remove bone.
Buffalo Rack of Ribs Sandwich
- ¼ c mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp Lawry’s Seasoned Salt, plus additional, to taste
- ⅛ tsp coarsely ground black pepper, plus additional, to taste
- 2 c shredded green cabbage
- ½ c shredded carrot
- ¼ c diced celery, chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh celery leaves
- 2 Tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 rack baby back ribs (about 2 pounds)
- 3 Tbsp firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp Lawry’s Seasoned Salt
- 4 Tbsp hot sauce, divided, plus additional for spreading and serving (optional)
- 1 soft French loaf (12-14 inches), split
- olive oil
- Lawry’s Seasoned Salt
- McCormick coarsely ground black pepper
- ¼ small red onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ d crumbled blue cheese
To make slaw:
- In medium bowl, whisk mayonnaise, lemon juice, seasoned salt and pepper. Add cabbage, carrot, celery, celery leaves and parsley; toss to combine. Sprinkle with additional seasoned salt and pepper, to taste.
To make ribs:
- Prepare grill for indirect medium heat at about 350° F. (See Pitmaster Chris Lilly's tips on how to create a 2 Zone Fire for barbecuing.)
- Insert butter knife between membrane and bone on backside of ribs. Grab membrane with paper towel then pull to remove membrane; discard. Rub ribs on both sides with brown sugar and seasoned salt. Wrap ribs tightly in aluminum foil and place on indirect-heat side of grill. Grill ribs, turning once until meat is tender and pulling away from bone but not totally falling apart, about 1 hour, 15 minutes-1 hour, 30 minutes. Remove ribs from grill.
- Unwrap ribs and let cool until cool enough to handle. Using sharp knife, carefully slit skin on back of ribs and remove bones, keeping slab in one piece.
- Place boneless rib slab on direct-heat side of grill, rounded-side up, and brush top with 2 tablespoons hot sauce. Grill until underside begins to crisp, about 2 minutes. Carefully flip ribs and brush top with the remaining hot sauce. Continue to grill ribs until glossy and caramelized, about 2-3 minutes.
To assemble sandwich:
- Scoop out most of soft insides of top of French bread to make room for toppings. Brush cut sides with oil and sprinkle with seasoned salt and pepper. Grill on direct-heat side of grill until bread is toasted and grill marks appear, about 3 minutes.
- Place ribs on bottom of loaf. Brush with additional hot sauce, if desired, and top with slaw, onions and blue cheese. Cover with top of loaf. Cut into four pieces.
Recipe by chef Roger Mooking and photo courtesy of McCormick
Want more? See all our recipes by chef Roger Mooking.
Go big or go home! Or do both in a backyard cookout using Roger Mooking’s recipes. The huge Juicy Lucy burger, gigantic Buffalo Rack of Ribs Sandwich and the Maple Brined Pork Chops.
Want more? See all of our barbecuing tips & tricks.
Be the neighborhood grillmaster with these BBQ tips & tricks from the pros who know. They show you the one important trick you need to know for grilling burgers, steaks, chicken and more.
Want even more? See our new BBQ recipes.
Sign up for our weekly magazine with all our new recipes, party ideas and ways to put more play in every day.