Carrot Shaped Carrot Cake
This carrot shaped carrot cake is a fun Easter dessert.Print Recipe
- Sunkist Orange Jelly Belly jelly beans
- Green Apple Jelly Belly jelly beans
- 2½ c flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 c sugar
- ¾ c packed brown sugar
- 1 c vegetable oil
- ¼ c milk
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 3 c shredded carrots (5-6) or 10 oz bag of pre-shredded carrots
- 2 cans vanilla icing
- green and orange food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 9 x 13 pan with parchment.
- In medium bowl mix together flour, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder and salt.
- In large bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat together eggs and both sugars until well blended.
- Slowly add oil, milk and vanilla. Reduce speed to low.
- Add flour mixture to bowl, a third at a time, and beat until smooth. Fold in shredded carrots. Spoon batter evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven, transfer to wire rack and let cool completely.
- Cut cake to create a 9 x 10-inch and a 9 x 3-inch section.
- For 9 x 10 piece: Turn cake so 9" side is at the top. Put small dot of frosting in the center of the top edge and the bottom edge of the 9-inch side. Then place dots on the edge 1 inch down from the top, on the left and right sides. Carefully make 4 cuts through cake: – from dot on top to dot on left– from dot on top to dot on right– from dot on left to dot on bottom – from dot on right to dot on bottomDiscard 2 small triangles of cake beside top dot.
- For 9 x 3 piece: Carefully cut diagonally from top left corner to bottom right. Create a little notch on the short side of the triangles to create “carrot tops” as shown in photo. Discard notched-out pieces.
- Refrigerate 15 minutes so it won't be crumbly.
- Tint 1 cup vanilla frosting green and 2 cups orange. Remove cake from refrigerator and spread with very thin layer of green frosting on “carrot tops” and orange frosting on carrot triangle. Return to refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Frost cake with another layer of orange and green icing. Decorate with yellow, orange and green jellybeans as shown in photo.