With the combination of cheddar cheese, bacon and light as air puff pastry what’s not to love?
These tasty morsels will be a hit at your cocktail party or as an appetizer on your buffet.
Aged Cheddar and Bacon in Puff Pastry
Prep Time: 3 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
Servings: 24 pcs
Kerrygold aged cheddar with Dijon mustard gives this appetizer a wonderful kick. Add the texture of the puff pastry, and you have an amazing appetizer.Print Recipe
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 12×12 sheet puff pastry, defrosted
- 6 oz sliced bacon, cut into 1 ½ inch pieces
- 3 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 7 oz Kerrygold Aged Cheddar cheese
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- On a floured work surface cut the puff pastry into 24 scalloped or straight-edged 2-inch rounds. (Or use a scalloped 2-inch tartlet pan as a cutter.)
- Combine the egg yolk with 2 teaspoons water and brush a little of the mixture across the top of each piece. Bake according to package instructions.
- While puff pastry is baking, cook bacon. In a frying pan large enough to hold the bacon in a single layer, cook bacon until lightly browned and not too crispy. Transfer to paper towels.
- Assemble the appetizers. Using a serrated knife, carefully cut the puff pastry in half like a hamburger bun.
- Spread 1/2 teaspoon mustard on the bottom of each piece. Place a piece of bacon on the mustard.
- Cut 12 slices of cheese just less than 1/4-inch thick and cut the cheese slices in half; place a piece on the bacon. Top with the other half of puff pastry.
- Just before serving, arrange the puff pastry on a cookie sheet and warm in a 275°F oven until the cheese just starts to wilt, 5 to 7 minutes.
This appetizer can be made ahead and kept in fridge until serving. Warm as instructed.
Calories: 123kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 13mg | Sodium: 145mg | Potassium: 31mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 85IU | Calcium: 62mg | Iron: 1mg
Source: Kerrygold via Family Features