With the combination of cheddar cheese, bacon and light as air puff pastry what’s not to love?
These tasty morsels will be a hit at your cocktail party or as an appetizer on your buffet. Kerrygold aged cheddar gives these appetizers such flavor.
Aged Cheddar and Bacon in Puff Pastry
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 12×12 sheet puff pastry, defrosted
- 6 oz sliced bacon, cut into 1 ½ inch pieces
- 3 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 7 oz Kerrygold Aged Cheddar cheese
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- On a floured work surface cut the puff pastry into 24 scalloped or straight-edged 2-inch rounds. (Or use a scalloped 2-inch tartlet pan as a cutter.)
- Combine the egg yolk with 2 teaspoons water and brush a little of the mixture across the top of each piece. Bake according to package instructions.
- While puff pastry is baking, cook bacon. In a frying pan large enough to hold the bacon in a single layer, cook bacon until lightly browned and not too crispy. Transfer to paper towels.
- Assemble the appetizers. Using a serrated knife, carefully cut the puff pastry in half like a hamburger bun.
- Spread 1/2 teaspoon mustard on the bottom of each piece. Place a piece of bacon on the mustard.
- Cut 12 slices of cheese just less than 1/4-inch thick and cut the cheese slices in half; place a piece on the bacon. Top with the other half of puff pastry.
- Just before serving, arrange the puff pastry on a cookie sheet and warm in a 275°F oven until the cheese just starts to wilt, 5 to 7 minutes.
Source: Kerrygold via Family Features. (We were not compensated for this recipe.)
Want more appetizer ideas?
Appetizers should be served with every party! They keep the crowd happy if things are running a little late. They are perfect for nibbling while standing up during meet-and-greet. They allow a little taste of a lot of different foods.
An appetizer party is a great way to have a party on a smaller budget. It’s easier to visit with guests because the food can be prepared in advance. It is the perfect party when you don’t have enough space for all your guests – it can be a standing-room-only party rather than a sit-down party.
Want more? See all of our recipes.
Want even more? See our new appetizer recipes.
Sign up for our weekly magazine with all our new recipes, party ideas and ways to put more play in every day.