Here’s the Classic Oatmeal Muffin recipe, just like your Grandmother used to make.
Once you’ve tried the basic recipe, try adding a cup of raisins, cranberries, or nut pieces.
Mix and match until you create a signature Oatmeal Muffin recipe that family and friends will beg you to bake again and again.
Classic Oatmeal Muffin Recipe
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1 c milk
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 c vegetable oil
- 1 c flour
- 1 c old fashioned oats
- ⅓ c brown sugar
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Grease bottoms only of muffin tin, or put in paper liners.
- (If you wish to add nut pieces or fruit such as raisins, apple pieces or cranberries, stir 1 cup in with milk.)
- Beat egg and stir in milk, vanilla and oil.
- Dump remaining ingredients into top of bowl. Hand-stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. (It will look lumpy.) Over-mixing makes heavy, dry muffins.
- Spoon into muffin cups. (Filling to top edge will create that famous "muffin top" look.) Sprinkle some oats on the top for that homemade, home-loved look.
- Put muffin pan in the oven and turn oven temperature down to 350°F. (Starting in a hotter oven makes batter rise for bigger muffin tops. Turning temperature down ensures the centers are cooked but moist.)
- Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Test doneness by inserting a toothpick (best) or fork and see that it comes out clean without any batter.