Lovely, smooth and easy vanilla milkshake recipe for those who love the simplicity and welcome-home comfort of a vanilla shake. (And instructions on how to turn it into a freakshake too!)
Simple vanilla milkshake or a freakshake
See our vanilla milkshake recipe with instructions on how to take up a level to a freakshake.
A great vanilla milkshake requires the best ingredients.
For some other flavors, you can get away with using cheaper ice cream, especially if there’s mix-ins like Oreo cookies crumbs or sauces that you’d prefer to taste. But a vanilla milkshake won’t be as enjoyable if you don’t start with vanilla ice cream made with REAL cream and use whole milk. (Life is short – enjoy your shake without worrying about calories.) While you’re going for the gold, why not use seeds from a vanilla bean too?
You can use a mixture of whole milk and half-and-half cream for that dreamy richness. BUT never use whipping cream or heavy cream because it turns into butter in the blender!
How do you make milkshake with vanilla extract?
A vanilla milkshake can either use 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract or the seeds scraped from a 1/2 a vanilla bean. (If you do use extract for your milkshake, use the pure vanilla extract for the best taste.) After you add the milk to the ice cream, pour the vanilla extract on top and blend.
Pump up the fun & make it a Funfetti Vanilla Milkshake!
- Dip the rim of the glass in marshmallow creme, or paint it on the outside of the glass.
- Press multicolored sprinkles into the marshmallow creme. (The little dot kind look so cute.)
- Pour in the vanilla milkshake, top with whipped cream & sprinkle with a few sprinkles.
Want to take it up a notch to a Freakshake?
See our instructions on how to make a freakshake.
For this vanilla shake you will need: a tall milkshake glass, a silicone straw (they’re nice and wide), and a blender. For mix-ins, you can add seeds from 1/2 vanilla bean as a substitute for the vanilla extract.
- 3 c vanilla ice cream make with real cream (6 scoops)
- 1 c whole milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract OR scraped seeds from 1/2 vanilla bean
- whipped cream (optional)
- toppings such as sprinkles (optional)
- garnish with a vanilla wafer cookie on the side of the glass (optional)
- Scoop ice cream into blender right away and let it soften while you gather the other ingredients. (It needs at least 5 minutes to be soft enough for your blender.) Put your glass in the freezer so it’s frosty.
- Add milk, vanilla and blend just until pourable.
- Put straw into frosted glass and pour milkshake. Top with whipped cream, toppings and garnish as desired.
u003cliu003eu003cemu003eWe provide nutritional information but these figures should be considered estimates as they are not calculated by a registered dietitian. Please consult a medical professional for any specific nutrition, diet, or allergy advice.u003c/emu003eu003c/liu003e