This hearty German Potato soup is easy to make – and so fast because the potatoes are already prepared for you. (No, it’s not cheating. It’s ingenious.)
Fast & Easy German Potato Soup
- 1 c chopped onion
- 1 c chopped red bell pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cans READ German Potato Salad, chopped
- 12 oz beer, preferably a light ale
- ¾ c chicken broth
- 1 c diced ham, smoked turkey or sliced smoked sausage, optional (6 oz)
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 Tbsp chopped parsley
- rye croutons, optional
- crumbled bacon, optional
The easiet way to chop potato salad: remove top from can, insert clean kitchen scissors into potato salad and snip until chopped.
Sauté onion and bell pepper in oil in a Dutch oven or 3-quart saucepan over medium heat until onion just starts to brown, 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add potato salad, beer, broth and meat, if using; stir to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add salt, if desired, pepper and parsley.
Serve topped with rye croutons and bacon, if desired.
You may substitute an equal amount chicken broth for the beer, if desired.
Recipe and photos courtesy of READ salads
Want more? See our other soup recipes.
Want to see our new soup recipes – and more?
- Pinterest – hundreds of vision boards with party themes & recipes
- Facebook – hear about the bizarre holiday or “national day” today, our newest article, guides & party printables
- Twitter – get in on the conversation
Sign up for our weekly Merrymaker Magazine
- Know the upcoming week’s daily holidays with celebration ideas so you can prepare ahead of time
- Get party planning guides & see party printables for this month’s calendar holidays and new party themes
- Be first to try out our newest recipes
- See the list of last week’s articles so you won’t miss a thing