America loves tater tots.
Americans consume approximately 70,000,000 pounds of tater tots, which translates into 3,710,000,000 tots per year. Whoa!
With that much love, of course there’s a tater tot day, right?
Well, it turns out tater tot day was kind of a hoax in the beginning, started by an avid fan rather than Ore-Ida, the company who makes them. In 2012 Scott Reitz at the Dallas Observer researched the day for a story because social media was crazy about the day. He discovered it was “bogus”, and was created about tater tot fan John-Bryan Hopkins in 2009 who admitted to creating the phenomenon.
And now? Here we are still talking about National Tater Tot Day. Why? Because people love tater tots so much! It is an official celebration now. Good work Hopkins.
How to Celebrate Tater Tot Day
Eat Tater Tots
It’s a no-brainer that you eat Tater Tots on Tater Tot day, but how are you going to eat them? Tater Tots are on the menu of many restaurants, but the Sonic Drive In is famous for serving tots and chili cheese tots.
You can make them at home* too, of course.
- Breakfast Burrito: bacon, egg, cheese & tater tots inside a burrito
- Totcho: tater tots with your favorite nacho toppings
- Mac & Cheese Tater Tots: 2 favorite foods mixed together – layer of mac & cheese, layer of tater tots, sprinkled cheese topping and baked until cheese melted
- Chili Tater Tots: bowl of your favorite chili with a layer of tater tots, then your favorite chili toppings like jalapeno peppers and shredded cheese
- Tater Tot casserole: cook 1 lb ground beef + 1/2 onion diced + 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce for bottom layer in casserole dish; cover with can of mushroom soup, then a layer of canned green beans seasoned with 1/2 tsp salt + 1/4 tsp chili powder + 1/8 tsp garlic powder, topped with layer of 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese and then the pièce de résistance, a layer of 2 cups of Tater Tots. (They are the top layer so they are crispy.) Bake 35 minutes in 375° F.
Did you know:
You can even put tater tots on the skewer with your meat for the BBQ grill!
Want more recipes? Check out the Tots! cookbook* by Dan Whalen with 50 recipes.
Hug a Tater Tot
Tater Tot Clothing
Share the love
Share photos of you with your Tater Tots today on social media with the hashtag #TaterTotsDay.
And carry them with you everywhere you go to munch or share them with friends, just like Napoleon Dynamite:
See all of our February daily holiday suggestions and put more play in your day.