This is one of the most succulent ways to cook a chicken.
Prepare a chicken for barbecuing as usual by removing the insides, wiping the skin with paper towel and season or add a rub to taste.
Open your choice of German beer in a can and place the chicken on the can so it is inside the ribcage. It is much easier to use a beer can chicken stand to balance the chicken on the grill, but its not absolutely necessary.
Put the chicken on the grill and cook on low until the meat is just falling off, usually about an hour.
Beer Can Chicken Racks Available at Amazon.com
There are several different kinds of chicken beer can racks available, making it possible to try a cheaper model on the grill just to see what all the fuss is about and then upgrading to a “pro” model if you discover this is your new BBQ grillmaster technique!
Bayou Classic Stainless Steel ChickCAN Rack* – only $6.49
- Wire rack cooks a 3.5 – 4 pound chicken upright by beer can method
- Stainless steel
- Safe for charcoal grills, gas grills, and ovens
- Circular wire base rests securely on wire grills
- Uses any 12-ounce can of beer or soda for moisture
- Measures 7 by 5 inches
- Instructions included.
Steven Raichlen, host of The Primal Grill and Barbecue University on PBS and author of 28 cookbooks including The Barbecue Bible* with more than 4 million copies in print has a top-notch beer can chicken roaster that every grilling aficionado will want.
- Stainless steel beer can chicken roaster with drip pan.
- Safe for charcoal grills, gas grills and ovens
- Metal rack will hold a beer can or the included stainless steel canister.
- Can fill canister with wine, fruit juice or other flavorful liquid.
- Stable square metal drip pan collects meat juices for sauces and prevents dripping fat from erupting into flare-ups.
- Loop side handles on drip pan makes roaster easy to transport.
- Dishwasher safe.
- Measures 5.08″ x 9.49″ x 7.28″.
Combine this with Steven Raichlen’s Beer Can Chicken and 74 Other Offbeat Recipes for the Grill Cookbook* for a great gift!
- Double beer can chicken stand for charcoal or gas grills
- Metal rack holds 2 chickens as well as up to 4 potatoes or ears of corn on the side skewers
- Cleans with a brush
- Measures 13.5″ by 9″