Don’t have any sweaters that fit this year? Tired of last year’s wardrobe? Time to party! That’s right. Plan a clothing party that scores you a FREE winter wardrobe – Chinese auction style.
What is a Gorgeous Sweater Party?
You’ve heard about the Ugly Sweater Party that everyone has at Christmas. The Gorgeous Sweater Party is more fun because it’s a party AND you go home with a new winter wardrobe. For FREE.
My daughter is a hair stylist, and at the first salon where she worked all the girls were roughly the same size. In the autumn they had a clothing party where they exchanged clothes in a fun Chinese Auction-style party. They all saved money at the time of year money is tight, enjoyed a new-to-you wardrobe, and had a great party.
They meet a a coworker’s house where she has arranged the chairs in her living room in a circle around the perimeter of the room. They all show up with a wine bottle or appetizers under their arm, dump their clothing/jewelry/purses/scarves/fashion accessories in a pile in the middle of the room, grab a drink and a snack and take a seat in the circle around the pile of goodies.
Then they get ready to play for a new-to-you winter wardrobe – chinese auction style!
What are the rules for a Gorgeous Sweater Party?
You can make the rules as fun as you want.
- Each person takes a turn around the circle, beginning with the hostess to thank her.
- She chooses something interesting from the pile and holds it up for everyone to see.
- She continues looking in this fashion until she finds something she likes – she keeps that item and returns to her seat.
- The person sitting next to her now has the choice of:
- “stealing” the item from her – or someone else once everyone has played
- take something from the pile they’ve seen her hold up
- or dive in and look for something new in the pile
- If they choose to search in the pile, they hold up each item for everyone to see until they choose something and sit down with it.
- Everyone takes a turn until all items are chosen.
Anything that is left over is taken to their favorite Thrift Store the next day.
This can become very raucous, depending on the group – and how much wine is consumed!
Some groups do not do well with the “stealing” idea, so you may want to make it a “first come, first serve” kind of party so there’s no hard feelings.
The Gorgeous Sweater Party for kids.
When my kids were little I had a similar party with my friends, only for kid’s clothes. Whatever my kids outgrew was perfect for someone else’s darling, and I took home some wonderful “new to you” things for my kids.
To be honest, we were too friendly to do the chinese auction idea! The hostess just held up each item, we all admired it, and then someone with a child that size claimed it.
It’s win/win – with coffee, cupcakes and conversation. A productive night out for moms!
Want even more? See our new party ideas.
Sign up for our weekly magazine with all our new recipes, party ideas and ways to put more play in every day.