Don’t have any sweaters that fit this year? Tired of last year’s wardrobe? Time to party! That’s right. Plan a clothing party that scores you a FREE winter wardrobe – Chinese auction style.
They all gather at the designated house with a wine bottle or appetizers under their arm, dump their clothing/jewelry/purses/scarves/fashion accessories into a pile in the middle of the party floor, grab a drink and a snack and take a seat in a circle around the pile of goodies.
You can make the rules as fun as you want.
- Each person takes a turn around the circle, beginning with the hostess to thank her.
- They choose something interesting from the pile, hold it up for everyone to see.
- They continue looking in this fashion until they find something they like – they keep that item and return to their seat.
- The next person now has the choice of:
- “stealing” an item from someone who has chosen something
- take something from the pile they’ve seen someone hold up
- or dive in and look for something new in the pile
- If they choose to search in the pile, they hold up each item for everyone to see until they choose something and sit down with it.
- Everyone takes a turn until all items are chosen. (Hostess can take the leftovers to their favorite Thrift Store the next day.)
This can become very raucous, depending on the group – and how much wine is consumed!
Some groups do not do well with the “stealing” idea, so you may want to make it a “first come, first serve” kind of party so there’s no hard feelings.
When my kids were little several of us had children that were roughly the same age/size. We had a similar party, only with kid’s clothes. Whatever my kids outgrew was perfect for someone else’s darling, and I took home some wonderful “new to you” things for my kiddies.
It’s win/win – with coffee, cupcakes and conversation. A productive night out for moms!