Flavorful & fresh autumn grape and apple sheet pan pie is big enough to share with the crowd – and especially for those who love to try something a little different & very seasonal.
Grape and Apple Sheet Pan Pie
- 4 c flour
- 1½ Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 3½ sticks cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 c ice water, plus additional if needed
- 3 lbs Granny Smith or other tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced (about 9 cups)
- 4 c black California grapes
- ¾ c sugar
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp water
- demerara sugar, for garnish
To make dough:
- In large bowl, whisk flour, sugar and salt. Add butter and toss with flour mixture. Smash each butter cube flat then use fork to stir in cold water. Knead lightly until dough comes together in ball. Transfer to floured work surface and use well-floured rolling pin to roll into 10-by-15-inch sheet. Fold each short side into middle and close like a book. Fold once more to make thick block and cut in half. Wrap each piece in plastic and chill at least 30 minutes or overnight.
To make filling:
- In large bowl, combine apples, grapes, sugar, flour, lemon juice and salt; set aside.
To assemble pie:
- Heat oven to 375 F.
- Roll half of dough out to 18-by-13-inch rectangle. Transfer to 10-by-15-inch heavy baking sheet; place in refrigerator to chill while rolling out top sheet. Roll out remaining dough to 18-by-13-inch rectangle and use pastry cutter to cut into 1 1/2-inch wide strips.
- Transfer filling into chilled pastry and spread evenly. Lay dough strips on top of filling in lattice pattern and crimp sides together. Mix egg with water and brush top of pie. Sprinkle with demerara sugar and bake until filling is bubbling, and crust is nicely browned, about 45-50 minutes.
Recipe and photo courtesy of California Table Grape Commission
Want more? See all of our apple pie recipes.
Nothing reflects a mother’s love like homemade apple pie. Warm from the oven, served with ice cream or cheese, drizzled with caramel sauce, it’s like a big hug. Try our apple pie recipes and find one that’s your signature hug.
Want even more? See our new pie recipes.
Sign up for our weekly magazine with all our new recipes, party ideas and ways to put more play in every day.