Daily protein needs should be met by spreading intake throughout the day in every meal. Not only does protein help satisfy hunger, which may aid in weight management, but it also helps preserve muscle.
This start to the day has all the nutrients you need in a spicy wake-up call – including protein.
Huevos Rancheros Oats
- 1 c milk
- ¾ c water
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 c old-fashioned oats
- ½ sweet onion, chopped
- 1½ tsp olive oil
- 10 oz diced tomatoes with green chilies
- ¼ tsp chipotle chili powder
- 2 eggs
- ¼ c grated cheddar cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
- In medium saucepan over medium-high heat, bring milk, water and salt to boil. Stir in oats. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer oats, stirring occasionally, 4 minutes. Remove oats from heat and place lid on saucepan. Set aside.
- In nonstick skillet over medium heat, saute onion in olive oil until soft, about 4 minutes. Stir canned tomatoes with green chilies and chipotle chili powder into onions to combine. Continue to heat salsa to boil, about 1 minute. Make two wells in middle of tomato salsa. Crack eggs into wells. Season eggs with salt and pepper, to taste. Cover skillet and poach eggs in salsa to desired doneness; about 3-4 minutes.
- Divide oats evenly between two bowls. Spoon eggs and salsa over oats. Serve immediately with cheddar cheese.
Want more breakfast recipes?
We have breakfast recipes for when you’re on the go, when you want to relax with family and friends or when you want to impress.
Pancakes, egg recipes, breakfast burritos, and more.
Morning tips to make life easier.
Want to see all of our recipes?
See our Recipe Index
- step by step tutorials
- recipes for all skill levels
- tips to make your recipe turn out perfectly the first time