Meatloaf is a fast & easy meal for mom to make, and a comfort food that the whole family loves. Here’s the oh-so-easy meatloaf recipe I use for my crew.
Momma McEachern’s Homestyle Meatloaf
Servings: 4 people
This is the comfort food most requested by my family. This recipe is so easy but so good!Print Recipe
- 1 lb ground beef 80% beef 20% fat is best – NOT lean
- 1 lb ground pork
- ½ c Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- ½ c beef broth
- 1 envelope dry onion soup mix
- 1 egg, beaten
- favorite BBQ sauce or ketchup
- Preheat oven at 350°F.
- Make a panade (a starch and liquid mixture that is used as a binding agent) by mixing bread crumbs and broth in a bowl and set aside to soak while mixing other ingredients.
- Mix the beef, pork, onion soup mix, and egg in a large bowl. (I use my hands to gently squish it all together.)
- Fill a greased loaf pan and round the top. Put loaf pan on a baking sheet with a rim to catch any drippings. (See our article for other ways to cook meatloaf and for more tips.)
- If you’d like, you can put a layer of ketchup or BBQ sauce on top for a glaze. Or not.
- Bake for 60 minutes for loaf pan or 20 minutes for mini-loaves or muffin tin. Meatloaf should be firm to the touch and has shrunk from the edge of the pan. Test doneness with thermometer in the center of the loaf. It should be 160° degrees F.
- Remove from pans immediately so they don’t soak up the grease. (This is so-much-easier if you use a Rachael Ray Meatloaf Pan* with removable insert like I do. It was a Christmas present from my youngest son who loves meatloaf.) Let the loaves rest for 10 minutes before slicing so they don't crumble.
- wrap in foil and refrigerate for 3-4 days
- slice leftover meatloaf, lay on a baking sheet and freeze
- put frozen slices in an airtight container and return to freezer
- now you can use as many single slices as required
- can freeze up to 2 months
Calories: 689kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 43g | Fat: 49g | Saturated Fat: 18g | Cholesterol: 203mg | Sodium: 1159mg | Potassium: 754mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 88IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 84mg | Iron: 4mg