Try a new, rustic twist on the classic egg cup with this savory walnut egg cups recipe.
Savory Walnut Egg Cups Recipe
- 1½ c old fashioned oats
- ¾ c chopped walnuts
- ¼ c extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp cold water
- 9 eggs
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 1 tsp stone ground Dijon mustard
- 1 c baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1 red pepper, diced
- ¾ c sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Heat oven to 350ºF and generously spray 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In bowl of food processor, pulse oats until fine and flour-like. Add walnuts and pulse until blended with oat flour. Pulse in olive oil, salt and water until mixture comes together.
- Spoon walnut-oat crust mixture evenly (about 1 1/4 tablespoons each) into each muffin cup and press into bottom and partially up sides. Bake 25 minutes until crust begins to brown. Cool on wire rack 10 minutes.
- In large bowl, whisk eggs, garlic powder, oregano and mustard until well combined. Stir in spinach, bell pepper and cheese.
- Fill each muffin cup evenly with egg-veggie mixture and bake 20 minutes, or until eggs are set. Cool slightly on wire rack before removing egg cups by carefully inserting sharp knife between crust and muffin pan.
Recipe courtesy of California Walnuts via Family Features. (We were not compensated for this recipe.)
Want more? See all of our egg breakfast recipes.
Want to know more about eggs? We cover all the basics.
Do you know why we use eggs in cooking? The difference in egg sizes & yolk colors? How to store eggs & cook with them safely? The difference between white & brown eggs? We tell you everything you need to know about eggs for cooking.
Want more? See our exciting breakfast recipes for kids & adults.
Exciting breakfast recipe ideas for days when you want to have a leisurely brunch and reconnect with family and friends, for a traditional “start the weekend” extravaganza, for a quick-out-the-door morning and recipes especially for adults or kids.
Want more, more often? See all of our breakfast recipes.
Sign up for our weekly magazine with all our new recipes, party ideas and ways to put more play in every day.