Are you having a tough time getting your kids with a picky palate to eat? Do you want to put more play into dinnertime? These snowman meatloaf cupcakes are easy to make and unforgettable for the kids! (They’re also fun at a winter or snowman party.)
- Begin with your favorite meatloaf recipe (or try mine: Mama McEachern’s Meatloaf Recipe.) Cook in a muffin tin. Takes about 20 minutes.
- Prepared mashed potatoes. If using real potatoes add milk and mash to a play dough consistency. (Called whipped potatoes now!) If using ready-to-eat mashed potatoes, prepare as directed on the box.
- While your meat and potatoes are cooking, plan and prepare your snowman embellishments.
Carrot Nose: Baby carrots don’t have that nice point, so choose a bunch of carrots that are pointy (which didn’t show up in our staight-on photo!)
Eyes: Peas make perfect eyes, but you can use any vegetable from a frozen vegetable mix. Lima beans make him look happy!
Scarf: Cut bell pepper into thin strips. Microwave for 20 seconds to make it pliable but still edible. Circle the snowman’s neck with strips and tuck another strip under to hang down like a scarf. You can use any color you like – green, red, orange, yellow – just coordinate with your color choice for hat if you’re including one. Green hat with a red scarf makes a fun Christmas snowman meal for kids.
Hat: Use the bottom of a red or green bell pepper for a toque. Choose one that is a triangular shape with a very small point or it will be too side for your snowman. Cuban or Cubanelle peppers work well; they are green and become red as they ripen.
Buttons: If you opt for a tall 3-part snowman, use a different vegetable from your mix than you used for the eyes or use raisins.
Arms: You can use rosemary sprigs as we did, or parsley sprigs with a few leaves on the ends of the stem.
- Place a meatloaf cupcake on a plate.
- When potatoes are cool enough to handle, roll it into 2 or 3 balls just like you would when playing with play dough with your kids. Form into a snowman on top of your meatloaf cupcake.
- Add your embellishments as planned and serve.