Are you trying to put more plant-based foods in your diet? Try this blenditarian Mexican Lasagna recipe – it’s a blend of ground beef and mushrooms with traditional Mexican ingredients layered like a lasagna. Kids love it!
This recipe uses a mushroom/ground beef blend for a healthier, plant-focused meal that is Earth-conscious and strikes a nutrition-sustainability-flavor balance.
(For more information on Blenditarian eating, see our article Blenditarian Mushroom/Ground Meat Recipes are Nutritious & Delicious.)
Try more recipes at Blenditarian.com.
Spicy Blenditarian Mexican Lasagna
For Mexican Mushroom-Beef Blend:
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 8 oz fresh button or cremini mushrooms
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cans black beans, drained
- 1 pkg taco seasoning mix
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1 can yellow kernel corn, drained
- non-stick cooking spray
- 16 corn tortillas
- 1 c shredded Mexican cheese blend
- sour cream (optional)
- chopped cilantro (optional)
- salsa (optional)
For the Mexican Mushroom-Beef Blend:
- In food processor, pulse onion and mushrooms to coarse texture. (Or chop with knife.) Set aside.
- In large frying pan, brown ground beef. Drain fat. Set aside.
- In same frying pan, heat oil. Add mushroom mixture and sauté 3-4 minutes, or until most moisture has been released.
- Add black beans and mix. Add beef, taco seasoning, tomatoes and corn to black bean and mushroom blend. Mix and cook until heated through.
- Heat oven to 350 F. Spray bottom of 9-by-13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place four corn tortillas on bottom of dish and layer 2 cups Mexican Mushroom-Beef Blend on top. Repeat layers, ending with tortillas as top layer. Top with cheese.
- Bake uncovered 25 minutes, or until cheese melts and lasagna is heated through. Top with dollops of sour cream, cilantro and salsa as desired.
Recipe courtesy the Mushroom Council
Want more? See all of our Blenditarian recipes.
See our new recipes – and more. Sign up for our weekly newsletter magazine.
- Know the upcoming week’s daily holidays with celebration ideas so you can prepare ahead of time
- Get party planning guides & see party printables for this month’s calendar holidays and new party themes
- Be first to try out our newest recipes
- See the list of last week’s articles so you won’t miss a thing