Are you trying to put more plant-based foods in your diet? Try this blenditarian Mexican Lasagna recipe – it’s a blend of ground beef and mushrooms with traditional Mexican ingredients layered like a lasagna. Kids love it!
(For more information on Blenditarian eating, see our article Blenditarian Mushroom/Ground Meat Recipes are Nutritious & Delicious.)
For Mexican Mushroom-Beef Blend:
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 8 oz fresh button or cremini mushrooms
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cans black beans, drained
- 1 pkg taco seasoning mix
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1 can yellow kernel corn, drained
- non-stick cooking spray
- 16 corn tortillas
- 1 c shredded Mexican cheese blend
- sour cream (optional)
- chopped cilantro (optional)
- salsa (optional)
For the Mexican Mushroom-Beef Blend:
- In food processor, pulse onion and mushrooms to coarse texture. (Or chop with knife.) Set aside.
- In large frying pan, brown ground beef. Drain fat. Set aside.
- In same frying pan, heat oil. Add mushroom mixture and sauté 3-4 minutes, or until most moisture has been released.
- Add black beans and mix. Add beef, taco seasoning, tomatoes and corn to black bean and mushroom blend. Mix and cook until heated through.
- Heat oven to 350 F. Spray bottom of 9-by-13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place four corn tortillas on bottom of dish and layer 2 cups Mexican Mushroom-Beef Blend on top. Repeat layers, ending with tortillas as top layer. Top with cheese.
- Bake uncovered 25 minutes, or until cheese melts and lasagna is heated through. Top with dollops of sour cream, cilantro and salsa as desired.
Recipe courtesy the Mushroom Council via Family Features
Want more Blenditarian recipes?
Try more recipes at Blenditarian.com.
Want more? See all of our recipes.
Want even more? See our new Blenditarian recipes.
Sign up for our weekly magazine with all our new recipes, party ideas and ways to put more play in every day.