Strawberries and rhubarb are favorite summer fruit, and when combined in a crumble it is a soul satisfying welcome home treat. Try this easy strawberry rhubarb crumble recipe, and you’ll see what we mean.
The Irish Independent calls Darina Allen “our first lady of food.”
Ballymaloe is one of the world’s best cookery schools and Darina Allen, its co-founder and main teacher, is in a league of her own. Every student who has gone through her school has begged her to write down her recipes and thoughts, tips and shortcuts, and here they are in this definitive teaching book, which has everything to inform and inspire you to become adventurous in the kitchen.
This recipe is adapted from the “Ballymaloe Cookery Course”, with permission.
More cookbooks by Darina Allen
Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble
- 1 lb rhubarb, cut in 1/2-inch slices (4 cups)
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) Kerrygold Irish Butter
- 1 cup white flour, preferably unbleached
- 1/4 cup superfine sugar
- Whipped cream
- Soft brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In bowl, mix filling ingredients; turn into a 1-quart (4 cups) capacity pie dish.
- Rub butter into flour just until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs, then stir in sugar.
- Sprinkle this mixture over rhubarb in the pie dish. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes until topping is cooked and golden. Serve with whipped cream and soft brown sugar, or try stirring a little Amaretto into your cream.
u003cliu003eu003cemu003eWe provide nutritional information but these figures should be considered estimates as they are not calculated by a registered dietitian. Please consult a medical professional for any specific nutrition, diet, or allergy advice.u003c/emu003eu003c/liu003e
Recipe & photo courtesy of Kerrygold/Irish Dairy Board
Want more? See Tart, Pie & Crumble recipes.
Do you know the difference between a galette, tart, pie, crumble, cobbler and tartlet? Do you know how to make them? See our recipes for each.
Like this? See our new recipes, party ideas & daily holiday celebrations.
Sign up for our weekly newsletter magazine.