Kids love to eat muesli from an apple bowl – so serve stuffed apples cold. Or, on a cold winters day it is so comforting to start the day with baked apples – same ingredients, just warmed.
This is a healthy breakfast recipe but can also be served with vanilla ice cream as an autumn dessert.
Stuffed Apples Breakfast
- 4 gala apples
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup muesli cereal (with dried fruit & nuts)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp chopped walnuts
- 1/2 tsp apple pie spice
- 8 tbsp drained cottage cheese
- 4 tsp orange marmalade – if baking
- Star anise & powdered sugar to decorate (optional)
- Cut top of apple (stem part) off for a lid.
- Scoop out the seeds & center of the apple leaving 1/2″ at the bottom of the apple.
- Rub the lids and edges of the apples with the lemon to keep from discoloring.
- In a medium bowl mix the butter, museli, brown sugar, walnuts, apple pie spice and drained cottage cheese.
- Fill apples with mixture just to the top edge of the apple.
Use same ingredients as above.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Put 1 tsp orange marmalade on top of each apple and place in baking dish or muffin tin.
- Place lids on apples.
- Bake until tender, about 25 minutes. Don’t overcook or apples will look wrinkly.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar to decorate
We have breakfast recipes for when you’re on the go, when you want to relax with family and friends or when you want to impress.
Pancakes, egg recipes, breakfast burritos, and more.
Morning tips to make life easier.