Turn the ordinary into the extraordinary with Turkey Croquettes. No one will guess that these tasty French delicacies came from your turkey leftovers. The recipe can add flair to any meal as hors d’oeuvres, a side dish or an entree.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour plus 1/2 cup additional for dredging
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup water plus 1/2 teaspoon Wyler’s® Chicken Bouillon granules
- 2 cups finely chopped, cooked turkey
- 3/4 cup mashed potatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 large eggs beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- 1 1/2 cups dry seasoned bread crumbs
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
- Heinz HomeStyle Roasted Turkey Gravy
- Leftover cranberry sauce
- In small saucepan, cook onion in butter over moderately low heat, stirring 5 minutes. Mix in 1/4 cup flour, and cook, stirring constantly, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in milk and bouillon. Cook mixture, stirring until it forms a paste. Continue to stir and cook paste 3 minutes. Remove pan from heat, stir in turkey, potatoes, paprika, poultry seasoning, nutmeg, salt, pepper and parsley. Combine mixture well.
- Chill turkey mixture, covered, 2 hours or until firm. Divide into 8 portions; roll or mold into desired shape. Dredge balls in additional 1/2 cup flour, shaking off excess. Coat balls thoroughly with egg wash, letting excess drip off; then dredge in bread crumbs. Transfer croquettes to parchment paper. Allow them to dry at room temperature for 30 minutes before frying.
- In large saucepan, heat 2 inches of oil until deep-fat thermometer registers 365°F. Fry croquettes in batches 3 to 4 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Serve croquettes with gravy and cranberry sauce.
Wyler’s Bouillon via Family Features
Put more play in your inbox
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter to plan ahead for the week's daily celebrations, get another chance to read last week's articles, see all the freebies, giveaways and recipes - and get the info on our Monthly Facebook Contest.