These spicy turkey Potato Boats are a great way to use your leftover turkey. They can be served on their own for a fun meal or as an exciting side dish.
Believe it or not, this recipe is from Rice Krispie Canada. These Turkey Potato Boats can be used as an appetizer, healthy snack or small meal.
Turkey Potato Boats
- 4 large baking potatoes scrubbed and baked
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 c chopped onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 28 oz diced tomatoes
- 2 c Rice Krispies cereal
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp hot pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 c finely shredded carrots
- 1 c shredded Cheddar cheese
- Cut cooled potatoes lengthwise; scoop out potato to within 5 mm (1/4-inch) of skin. (Reserve potato for another use.) Place skins on baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- In a saucepan cook turkey, onion and garlic over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until turkey is no longer pink.
- Stir in tomatoes, cereal and seasonings. Cover and simmer over low heat 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat; stir in carrots.
- Spoon turkey mixture into potato skins. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 190°C (375°F) about 15 minutes or until cheese melts and potatoes are hot.
Want more? See all our appetizer recipes.
Selection of appetizer recipes for a cocktail party, game day, or pre-dinner dining. Tips on how to create a cheese board.
Want more? Have an appetizer party!
An appetizer party is a great way to have a party on a smaller budget. It’s easier to visit with guests because the food can be prepared in advance. It is the perfect party when you don’t have enough space for all your guests – it can be a standing-room-only party rather than a sit-down party.
Want even more? See our new appetizer recipes.
Sign up for our weekly magazine with all our new recipes, party ideas and ways to put more play in every day.