Finding quality family time isn’t easy but here’s a family night idea that turns cooking dinner into a family keepsake and fun memories.
Food and fun are two great ways to connect as a family, and here’s how to have both at the same time: Put on a Cooking Show!
Kids have seen cooking shows before while flipping through the channels – or watching with mom – and love to pretend to be Rachael Ray, or shout “Bam!” like Emeril Lagasse. (Did you know he started doing that because the camera man kept falling asleep? It’s true!)
Here’s a few ideas to help get you started:
- Choose a fun and simple recipe that you’ve cooked together before to demonstrate to the “home viewers.”
- Set up a video camera (or cellphone) so that you can see the whole work area and put masking tape or other markers on the floor so the cooks know where to stand to be on camera and when they are off camera.
- Decide who will explain which step in the cooking procedure and who will demonstrate which part. Write it down so everyone can refer to it.
- When you’ve finished cooking, watch your cooking show while eating it. Bon Appetit!
- Don’t forget to post it on Facebook for grandma & the rest of your family and friends to see.
Of course the kids need a chef’s hat & apron.
Wearing a chef’s hat and apron help your little actors get into character and look great on the video.
They also make a great keepsake. When your children have outgrown their chef’s hat & aprons, store it with a copy of your “cooking show” for them to see when they grow up. (Or for their kids to see!)
Want more? See our other family ideas.
See our new family ideas – and more.
- Pinterest – hundreds of vision boards with party themes & recipes
- Facebook – hear about the bizarre holiday or “national day” today, our newest article, guides & party printables
- Twitter – get in on the conversation
Sign up for our weekly Merrymaker Magazine
- Know the upcoming week’s daily holidays with celebration ideas so you can prepare ahead of time
- Get party planning guides & see party printables for this month’s calendar holidays and new party themes
- Be first to try out our newest recipes
- See the list of last week’s articles so you won’t miss a thing