Savory Breakfast Casserole
Breakfast casserole with eggs, potatoes, ham and Swiss cheese
- 1 lb red or white potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- ½ onion, coarsely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- ½ tsp salt divided in half
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 c chopped cooked ham (about 4 oz)
- 1 c shredded Swiss cheese (or cheddar) (4 oz)
- 4 eggs
- 1½ c milk
- 1 Tbsp mustard
In large saucepan place potato pieces. Add enough water to just cover. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Add onion. Return to simmer. Simmer, covered, about 5 minutes more or until potatoes are just tender. Drain well. Cool slightly.
Coat 8- x 8- x 2-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Place potato-onion mixture in baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and pepper. Gently stir to combine. Sprinkle ham and Swiss cheese on top.
In medium bowl lightly beat eggs. Whisk in milk, mustard and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Pour over layers in baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350°F for 40 to 45 minutes or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.